Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Finally some progress

Well today I feel much better than you very much. Even had supper tonite. Buffet at the Yak and Yeti – one of the best in town. How nice to feel back in the land of the living.

The day started with a knock at the door. I hoped Gabriel would hear it and answer, but no, so I got up, made myself as respectable as I could, and found Achute Rana at the door. Achute is our landlord. I originally though he owned the whole building, but what he owns is our unit. He is also the husband of Yasmine who made my wonderful vest. I showed Achute the vest, and he said that he had designed the fabric. That it was inspired by a Tibetan Tiger rug, and had it especially woven in India. He is a particularly nice man, very gentle, obviously an artist. I was glad to get to meet him.

We had some animated discussions at the office about the format of the focus groups, and attendance list, interspersed with calls from the secretary about details. I was happy to be more up to par for the discussions.

I have not told you much about life in the apartment. It is a very large building, with many units, a gym and a swimming pool. The ceilings are very high, there are at least 2 security guards around all the time, and there is office staff who are happy to mail your letters, get you a new transformer, arrange for more bottled water etc. And these people are so very nice, with quick smiles, and a genuine desire to help. There is a washer and dryer in the basement, which is a plus until you discover that it will fill with water, swish it around a bit with the soap. And then stop. And it takes days for anything to dry here. So I have had to become a philosophical about how many times it is possible to re-use underwear. Also about how often to wash your hair. It used to be – when it got dirty. Now it is – when there is hot water.

Our unit has a big living/dining room, with lots of appliances – microwave, TV, two heaters, two fans, blender, gas stove, iron. Each bedroom has its own bathroom with toilet, sink and shower. My apartment mate is Gabriel, who is Canadian, originally from Chile. He does a lot of this international work. He is a pleasant enough apartment mate – cheerful, game for excursions, good cook, pushing 50 I would say, with a new wife and baby back in Gatineau. It is a nice set up. We get food at a local “supermarket” and prepare many of the meals here, which leaves more money for shopping.

Tomorrow we are off to Biratnagar in the southeast of the country. It is where the Bhutanese refugees have settled. The Tibetans are in Bouddha, the Kashmiris run shops in Thamel, and the Bhutanese are in Biratnagar.

No comments: